When you certify a student, you are verifying only that the student will have completed the requirements of your college’s honors/scholars program—nothing more.

  • Was the honors/scholars coursework begun within the timeframe required by the college’s honors/scholars program (ideally no later than Fall 2021)?
  • Will a minimum of 15 honors/scholars transferable units be completed within the timeframe required by the college’s honors/scholars program (and minimally no later than the end of Spring 2022)?
  • Will the program’s GPA requirement be met at the time of certification?
  • Will all other requirements for the program be completed by the end of Spring 2022, e.g. community service/civic engagement activity, attendance at enrichment events, regular contact with honors/scholars counselor, etc.?

NOTE: The certification criteria (process, dates, deadlines, etc.) vary and are established by each individual community college’s TAP program. The comments section of the online form is to be used at the discretion of the program director/coordinator or counselor to explain and/or highlight any special circumstances and allowances.

The certification process directions describe the process for online certification.  The applicants must submit their Applicant Agreement form, and the program must certify each eligible applicant.  Everyone from the college honors/scholars program who participates in the certification process must complete and submit a confirmation of their submission’s accuracy.

Certification now uses your college’s TAP Box folder.  Submissions will be accepted online during the TAP certification cycle, from January through early March; please refer to the TAP Admission Cycle and Certification Form page for exact dates.

Most TAP member colleges allow for 6 honors credits or 2 classes to be transferred from another college, preferably from another TAP member college; however, each college will establish guidelines for:

  • Credit limitations;
  • Coursework from a non-TAP member college within California; and
  • Coursework from an out-of-state non-TAP member college.


After reviewing the questions and answers below, if your question is not addressed or pertains to a specific situation, please contact Brennan Burnett.

Due to the continuous increase in transfer applications to UCLA and because the majority of applicants apply to a select number of majors, TAP certified students will be reviewed for alternate majors ONLY if they meet both of the following provisions:

A. The alternate major may NOT be one of the selective majors listed on the Admission TAP webpage.

B. The alternate major must have been listed on the original UC Application. Requests to add or change the alternate major after submission of the application will not be considered. This applies to all alternate majors at UCLA.

Note: The TAP policy on review of alternate majors is still restricted to those in the UCLA College (Letters and Science) and the Pre-Public Affairs major. Majors in the Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science (HSSEAS), the School of Arts and Architecture (SOAA), the Herb Alpert School of Music, the School of Nursing, and the School of Theater, Film and Television (TFT) are not acceptable for alternate major review.  Additionally, the Pre-Education and Social Transformation major is NOT an available alternate major option as it is in the Graduate School of Education and Information Studies.

  • Completion of major preparatory coursework
  • Strength of GPA relative to the major
  • Strength of major preparation
  • Various personal criteria – please review the Transfer Admission Guide   for more information
  • 60 semester/90 quarter transferable units
  • Major preparation – minimum requirements
  • UC English composition requirement, mathematics requirement and transfer course pattern for UC minimum eligibility

By the end of summer term, completion of IGETC coursework and any additional recommended requirements for major preparation will ensure students are ready to begin full coursework at UCLA.

All applicants must submit an online UC Transfer Application Update form (UCLA’s priority deadline is January 31). Students are required to notify UCLA of any and all changes/updates to their work-in-progress as they occur. Our admission decision is based upon a review of current work-in-progress. The Transfer UC Application Update can be accessed from UCLA Undergraduate Admission Transfer Application Update page. This site will remain up through March. After that, send updates through UCLA Undergraduate Admission Application Contact page.

There are no ramifications unless incomplete coursework impacts major preparation, required units/coursework for University eligibility, or completion of the Honors/Scholars Program. If you have any questions, please contact Brennan Burnett.

Please use the Transfer Admission Guide   and ASSIST   as your primary references for minimum major preparation requirements for the most selective majors. Even if the major is not highly selective, our admission evaluators are still looking for a majority of the major preparation to be completed by the end of the spring prior to transfer.


No, but it is strongly recommended.

Although students are encouraged to complete both, major prep is the most important.  IGETC is not a requirement for admission to UCLA. For any major, general UC transfer requirements and major preparation courses should be prioritized over IGETC.

International students are reviewed separately. They can participate in TAP and be certified. Their TAP status is considered when UCLA makes admission decisions, but international students are not considered in the same way as domestic students. Significantly fewer international students are admitted overall than domestic students.

Certification for non-College of Letters & Science majors such as Arts and Architecture, Engineering, Music, Nursing, or Theater, Film and Television can be obtained if the student completes the prerequisites for an appropriate alternate major (see the list of majors that CANNOT be listed as alternate major). This TAP certification, however, is not considered in the review for selection by the UCLA professional undergraduate schools.

Example: If a TAP-certified applicant does not get into Engineering, that applicant may be considered for an alternate major in UCLA College if an alternate College major is indicated on the application and TAP certification form and if the applicant has completed prep work for the alternate College major indicated. However, if admitted to an alternate major in the College, the applicant will not be allowed to change their major to Engineering after transfer.

No, this is handled during the TAP Certification process.


For statistical information regarding UCLA transfer applicants, click here .

Counselors only – For statistical admission information for your college, contact LaWanda Bains.